If you are a student who has lost a parent or legal guardian to homicide and would like to apply for this college scholarship, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In return, we will email you an application to apply today.
Below are the list of requirements to apply:
- Applicant must have parent or legal guardian who was a victim of homicide
- Applicant must be a US Citizen and a high school senior (need proof of residency and birth certificate)
- Applicant must participate as a camper at our bereavement camp to be eligible for the scholarship
- Applicant must be a student who has been accepted and will be attending an accredited vocational, technical school, college or university
- Applicant must have a 2.5 GPA or better
- Applicant must submit a copy of a recent transcript (provide official transcript with seal)
- Applicant must provide at least two letters of recommendation (cannot be a family member)
- Applicant must submit an essay about their personal tragedy and how this opportunity would benefit their future
- Finalists will be interviewed prior to being awarded the scholarship
This is a one-time scholarship.
- Scholarship(s) will be awarded on the basis of funds available, need, and applicant eligibility
- Scholarship(s) will be disbursed directly to accredited vocational, technical school, college or university
- Scholarship(s) must be used within a year of being awarded, otherwise it will become void
- Scholarship(s) to be awarded after our fall bereavement camp
As a part of the application process, each applicant who applies will be required to submit an essay about their personal tragedy. A picture of your parent should be sent with the essay. Each applicant who applies, with their written consent, will have their parent’s story and picture posted on a dedicated page on our website.
Once the application is completed please submit the following via US mail:
- Completed application
- Essay about your personal tragedy and picture of your deceased parent
- Color copy of your license or state ID
- Copy of your acceptance letter to an accredited vocational, technical school, college or university you will be attending
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official high school or college transcript
- Copy of birth certificate
- Scholarship Applications must be post marked by June 30th
Sheilah A. Doyle Foundation
7820 W. Graphics Drive, Suite 106
Tinley Park, IL 60477
Attn: Scholarship Department
Thank you for your interest! We look forward to hearing from you!